Thursday, January 20, 2011

Home is where you want to be...

Ahhhhh... Home and all of the images that the word conjures up.  I am away at my mom's for our monthly visit and it makes me wonder how and why my parents ever moved to the location I am presently sitting.  The answer is known, but still, I wonder, why here and how did I ever manage to survive growing up in such a tiny town?  Survival came from keeping to myself and my tight group of friends and learning early on, as one of my long-time childhood friends so succinctly put it, to stand up for ourselves and what we believe and not take any crap for it.  She is smart, that one! (You know who you are! ;-P) 
They say you can never go home and in some ways this is so true.  My childhood bedroom no longer exists and the room I now claim at my mom's house is not at all like the room I now share with my husband in our home, but as I look around its clutter, I am presented with objects and photos that bring forth amazingly vivid memories.  Some are unpleasant, but most are good, and maybe just a bit warm and fuzzy.  There are photos of those loved and lost too soon, weathered letters from amazing people who thought me alot about life and helped raise me in their own way, and momentos of past trips and happy moments.  I do not like to admit to being sentimental and tender, but, those who truly know me realize that is really and truly what I am like and that my somewhat tough and wisened exterior is a facade of careful construct so as not to be hurt or bruised anymore than I have to be.  See me cuddled up with my pups and it is a dead giveaway.  My daddy once told me that he often worried about me getting hurt because I feel and love so much and so deeply.  He was right and I sometimes wish it wasn't true, but more often I am thankful for it because it means I really, really get to have the "human experience" in this thing called life.
My home is not a building, but rather a feeling that I can wrap myself up in wherever I may be and happiness is self-made, and as Charles Schulz said, it is a warm puppy.

Gomez, CB, Lerler and Sammy, I miss you all, but I will be home Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment