Sunday, January 12, 2014

Happy Birthday, My Dearly Departed Brother and Mentor!

So, nothing like starting the new year off right with a long over-due post.  And to make it worthy of the name of my humble blog, I will make it about my brother and mentor who left this mortal coil 25 years ago on November 2, 1988.  Hard to believe I have lived without him in my life for that long, or that HE WOULD BE 52 YEARS OLD TODAY!!  Only one word for that... Weird.  His name was Frederick (not really, but that is his name here for anonymity's sake).  He was a force of nature and a unique and charismatic individual.  His chosen profession was as a Cosmetologist and he was an incredibly talented hairdresser and makeup artist.  He would have been famous had he lived.  I know it!  But, alas, he did not get to realize all of his potential, as he was just too, too good for this planet.
He taught me a lot, albeit he was 9 years older than me and I was his little muse.  He loved Bo Derek and the movie "10".  My scalp and hair were not happy about this.  Nor was my neck, thinking about it. Hours of my childhood were spent with my head laying sideways on an ottoman as dear Frederick braided corn-rows into my hair as he watched the afternoon soap operas.  But I always looked great after the torture!  I secretly loved the attention and he knew it.  He was the "sparkly" person every child cherishes looks forward to seeing.

The summer before his passing I got to live with him in the big city.  He gave me trust and a short leash and I never let him down.  During this period he taught me etiquette, manners, grace and to always strive for perfection.  During Gomez's family gatherings this education has come in very handy, indeed!  That summer is forever emblazoned in my brain, from shopping, Disneyland and concerts galore to getting drunk the first time on champagne at a little Italian dive we used to frequent.  I wouldn't change a single moment because I was with him. 

Oddly, I ended up somewhat following in his creative footsteps by accident when I started my career working on wigs and being a makeup artist.  Hopefully he would be proud of me and my accomplishments. 
Frederick, Morticia and our brother Wyatt, Christmas 1971
 
This post could go on forever, but I will stop here.  Maybe I will chronicle more moments with him in the future, but for now, I am going to go bake Red Velvet Brownies in honor and memory of him because he would love them!

Happy, happy birthday, my love!  I know you are with me more often than not.  I love and miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment